Sunday, September 30, 2012

Indentity as a writer

   I was in 4th grade when I realized I loved writing. I was able to express myself and have my voice be heard when I was too timid to say what I wanted to. Writing has always been an escape and a place where I can harvest my thoughts and be able to free my mind and create new worlds and new characters when living in reality isn't enough. I had an English teacher in 11th grade that encouraged me to continue writing. He consistently tried to convince me to drop that class and transfer to an advanced English class. I refused. I loved that in his class, we were able to write without boundaries and our grades would be based on our writing, rather than if you showed up to class and followed the rules. I was afraid that by going from that class to an advance one, I'd lose that escape because those classes only provided the formal setting for writing where they spent most of their time learning about the rules. There was no freedom to write and I'd be resentful towards the one thing I loved. So I stayed. I felt that by giving us this freedom, it allowed me to grow as a writer and continue to pursue this passion for writing.
 
   A lot of my heroes and heroines are writers. It's inspiring to be able to pick up one of their books or any material they've written, and be transported into their minds. These are masterpieces that once were just simple ideas. It's comforting to know that not all author's had easy starts. They all weren't experience and well respected scribes. They didn't have every single person backing them and their ideas up. They probably still don't. But I believe that's what makes them unique. That's what makes someone a writer. As a writer, I don't want my ideas and stories to be watered down and conform to what's "in" at the moment. My identity as a writer will be about how much it moves a person and inspires them, not about how many people read it or how many copies it sold.

   Given an appropriate environment where an idea can flow freely will produce better papers. Encouragement from teachers and even society, when rules and society weighs down individuality, I believe can help make better writers. With writing I am able to gain the confidence I never knew I had and be able to say what I wished I could've said. I can be anyone when I sit down and write. In the next four years, or even beyond that, I hope to grow as a writer and always stand firmly in my beliefs towards writing. Writing shouldn't be a chore or a ticket to the next class, or job, or step. Instead I want writing to always be a passion and something I can always improve on. I want to inspire others, but also be inspired by others. I'm fully aware that there is inspiration everywhere, especially inside ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment