Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Courage to Share

   As I reread my first draft of the composition I wrote, I was hesitant to share it with anyone. Although I enjoy and benefit from criticism (positive or negative), I felt that having to read my words aloud made things all the more daunting.

   I have always written and revised in silence, but after sharing my work verbally, I was able to dissect the paper even further and find specific areas I have to work on. For example, I found that one thing I commonly did was use an abundant amount of run-on sentences. The feedback from my sister, who I shared my work with, was very helpful. She had many questions about the class and said I should be more specific when I give examples. She was also quick to point out that I should work on developing a more thorough introduction. And after explaining the terms intrinsic and extrinsic, she said I should have examples of how those terms weave into my writing.

   All in all, I felt that sharing my work verbally helped me understand the areas I need to work on. I should also be more inviting towards feedback and criticism, even if it's negative. I want to be a more articulate and especially confident writer and I feel that sharing my work will help me to do so. I can't be afraid of what others think or say about my work because it's only going to help me improve. One of my favorite quotes on literature says it all: "Writing exposes what the heart refuses to acknowledge," and I feel that's the beauty of writing. It envelopes all the words we can't speak and all the feelings we can't describe. It's a miraculous gift to be able to sit down and write whatever comes to mind; and an even bigger gift to share it with others. And the outcome of exposing your feelings and relating with others is the biggest award of all. It's simply magic. 

"Never be bullied into silence. 
Never allow yourself to be made a victim. 
Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."


No comments:

Post a Comment